Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Keeping up appearances

I was speaking with my friend Vivian on Sunday evening, and she mentioned that she might drop in sometime this week. OMG!  There's a reason I haven't invited any of my ladies groups over lately.  The living room rug was absolutely filthy,with food stains for visual interest. Since I had a disagreement, over  how it had been cleaned, with the company that usually cleans it, last spring, I haven't been able to find someone to clean it, at a price I can afford.  Last time Vivian dropped in, it was "demo day" for my kitchen  work, and there were two men with big hammers in the kitchen, and the stove was in the living room.  There was no way that I could have her here with the rug in that shape.  So I bit the bullet on Monday, and phoned the old company, and made a deal with them, and an appointment for today. Then I heard that Vivian wouldn't be coming. Oh Well, it'll still be fairly clean for Beth when she gets here.  Anyway, the fellows showed up this morning, and did a beautiful job.  I am well pleased.  Had a chat with the fellow, and found out that their main office is in the same building as the dentist we used to see at Bartlett and Osborne.  Their company, which was sort of small when I first used them, had been amalgamating with several others, and is now fairly large.  I gather that the dentist's office is somewhat smaller, and of course the dentist we used is long gone.  I think I remember seeing his obituary.  I do remember that Mom was his first patient when he moved in there, and I had thought that meant his first patient.  But a couple of years before I retired, I ran into a woman who had been a patient when he was doing clinical training in Toronto, before setting up his practice here.

David has been wanting to be more active lately.  A couple of weeks ago he took a ride on his bike and had a fall that left him "bloody but unbowed", and yesterday, he decided to use the pressure washer on the outside of the house.  We can't really see a difference, but the process sure left him wet and dirty.  Today it was off on his bike again, and some trouble with the chain.  Dirty hands and the need for quite a scrub.  Trying to build up his bike riding ability is turning out to be a bit of a challenge.

I'm thoroughly tired of the  needle book I'm working on and will be glad to see the end of it.  I'm starting to think that it may be contributing to the shoulder pain I'm having.  But I'm close enough to believe that I will get it finished tonight.  Better eat supper and get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment