Monday, March 21, 2011

Being a "child of the sixties"

Sometimes I need to think back about what we believed and how we behaved--as women.  I know, Beth, that you once told me that you didn't believe in all that feminist nonsense, but you, too, have done things, as a woman, that our Mother wouldn't believe possible.  Recently, I've been exchangeing e-mail with a woman in the Southern States  (North Carolina, I think), who is about the same age as I am.  We appear to have lived parallel lives with raising children ( with the help of understanding and supportive partners), returning to university, both more than once,  and holding down responsible jobs.  We've been reminiscing about what we did to make it possible and what the feminist movement was trying to accomplish.  We did it in hopes that our daughters, ( "daughters" in the largest sense--the next generation of women) could have choices in their lives.  I know many younger women are choosing a "June Cleaver" type of life, and while it's tempting to think "what a waste", our battle was to give them that choice.

So, where is my brain this morning, and what have I been drinking?  This morning I received an e-mail announcing a guest speaker at my local art group.  It turns out to be a young ( thirty-ish))woman I know and admire, but I had no idea what sorts of things she has accomplished.  The accompanying resume was a real eye-opener. Not only has she done some really neat things, I also found out that she has been nominated as a "Future leader of Manitoba"  I was actually moved to send her a private e-mail expressing my respect for her accomplishments.  I have to recognize that she has no children, and is not currently in a romantic liaison, so probably has more time and energy than all of us put together, but, regardless, she deserves credit for coming so far in her chosen field and we desererve credit for creating the type of society where a young woman has those choices.

Wow!  I'm glad I got that off my chest!  I'm sorry you won't be going to Nationals, Cathy.  You and Jim could probably have used the opportunity for travel as a sort of vacation.  But it was still good to see you, if even for just a few minutes. Yesterday was the AGM of my artists' group and I'm no longer Chairman of the Board, although I've promised to attend meetings over the next year, to be there for questions and support.  (The new Chair is a middle-aged Mennonite woman who has never chaired a meeting in her life.  More feminism?  Her name is Gail and she is a photographer.  You both may have met her in Sioux Narrows where she was in the next booth.)

 Now I just need to prepare for my cataract surgery on Wednesday.  I've had a problem getting the eye drops I need, but have been promised them by this afternoon.  I thought I might be coming down with a cold, which would cancel the surgery, but I've been taking my echinechea (sp?) tea and eating oranges, and it seems to have gone away,  So I plan to engage in non-demanding activities, get lots of sleep (Oh Yeah!), and generally make myself  healthy, and ready for whatever may happen..

No comments:

Post a Comment