Friday, March 4, 2011

Small pleasures

Beth, we've talked about finding those small moment of pleasure.  The ones that keep us going.  Could your few stolen moments to work on your quilt be part of that? I remember a moment of time during our visit to you at Christmas 1980.  With all of us, and our animals, in your house, there were many moments of chaos and excitment. But I had some hand work with me ( as I always do) and had taken just a moment to calm my thoughts.  Phyllis came across me sitting in a corner and stitching and expressed great surprise.  I don't remember her words but she said something like " You always find time for yourself, don't you".  My inner response was "Yes, I do or I go crazy" , although I don't remember saying that out loud. 

Some people thrive on being social, and some people thrive on isolation.  The difficulty is in finding the balance.  As women, we are used to denying ourselves and our needs, so we find socially acceptable ways of having our needs met.  In the world we grew up in, you could keep your thoughts to yourself and find inner peace or restoration, as long as your hands were busy with something useful.  Often, that was exactly how it worked for me.

So having said all that, can you tell I had a rough night and am functioning on not much sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment