Thursday, January 26, 2017

Getting old

I think it speaks of the very basic compassion that is part of your soul, that you willingly accept the care giving role that is so often thrust upon you.  I know you must be frustrated and angry at times, but you appear to carry on.  I so envy you the inner strength to do that, as I doubt I could.  But then we never really know until we're tested, do we?

David has been doing a little care giving these days.  No sooner had my cold cleared up when I was visited by the flu that's also going around here.  I had the shot, but this must be the version that comes with it. Monday I was feeling really weird, even believing that I had suffered an adverse reaction to the caffeine I was drinking, but then Tuesday, I just wasn't well, even throwing up a bit during the night.  Then Wednesday, I spent most of the day in bed, until about 2:00.  Then I was fine.  Today I'm tired--huge bags under my eyes-- but otherwise fine.  Even went out for coffee--the real thing--this afternoon. My volunteer activities came crashing down the past couple of days.  Nothing that couldn't be dealt with by computer, but a bunch of silly, time consuming crap.  Calmed down now.  We'll wait for the onslaught, again, tomorrow. Just your basic week from hell.

Tomorrow, first thing, David and I are going to the hairdresser.  We made the appointment awhile ago, as David needs to go as the first appointment, to avoid smells.  But then I'm  going to have my hair streaked.  I've been considering it for awhile, as it's one way of minimizing the grey.  I think I could deal with going pure grey or pure white, but the salt and pepper bothers me.  It struck me today, that I may be going back to Mom, toward the end, when she would make us put her hair up in rollers every day.  It was quite salt, and pepper, by then, with a bit of red here and there.  It was a job I resented, as we never knew when she would demand it, and we couldn't say "no", no matter what else was going on.  It's funny how this type of memory strikes you unawares.  A bit disturbing, as from the perspective of age, I feel guilty about feeling resentful then.

With the reliquary finished, I have to spend some time preparing for the beading course I'm teaching in early March.

Had a call from Loren today. He was asking us for a airport run, as he and Sheila are going to Jamaica for a week.  They got a good deal, even if it isn't all inclusive-just a room at a resort, and breakfast.  He says they're quite looking forward to eating out locally.  I hope it turns out well for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment