Monday, January 9, 2017

Today's adventure

The saga of my poor finger continues.  Right after breakfast, I had David take me into the Urgent Care Centre.  I figured that by the time I managed to get a doctor's appointment, I would have lost a lot of critical time in treating this, based on my experiences when I ruptured the tendon on the other hand.  It was a bit of a wait, but I did it x-rayed, and get to see a doctor.

Well, it turns out that this probably isn't so serious, but maybe more disheartening.  It seems that the joint isn't dislocating but rather subluxing--a similar process to what happens when people crack their knuckles.  There are no tendons on the sides of the joint, only on the front and back, so no tendons are at risk.  Rather, the joint is wearing out with use, age, and arthritis (as shown on the x-ray), and simply becoming looser.  The tendons I do have are quite strong, and not at risk.  He suggested that I consult a private practice Occupational Therapist to work with me to identify any potential areas where my work habits might be changed to reduce stress on the joint.  ( I didn't say anything like "been there, done that")  He felt that my toothpick splint wasn't effective as it didn't cover more than one joint, and he gave me a long piece of foam-covered metal that could be bent into a splint for sleeping, as well as a small thermoplastic splint that I should try as a working splint.  As soon as he put that on, I felt immediate relief, and it must have shown on my face, as he says     " Oh, you like that one, do you?".

So that is how I spent the day.  Didn't get to the library, and didn't have a chance to prepare the fancy supper that I'd planned, but I think this little splint just may be the answer to my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment