Wednesday, January 18, 2017

What a beautiful day!

Temperature just below zero, bright sun, and almost no wind. However, the roads etc are getting sloppy, which means they'll freeze overnight and be quite slippery in the morning. While I'm almost over the very nasty cold that's been going around, David is still suffering.  He's just feeling absolutely miserable and sleeping quite a bit.  He's also discovered the joy of NyQuil.  Since he takes so very little medication, it really has a very positive effect on him.  We still try to get out once a day, for lottery tickets, the odd grocery item, and my coffee.

Yesterday was the monthly meeting of my Tuesday stitchery group.  My friend Susanne picked me up, so, again, I didn't have to drive.  I enjoy getting together with these ladies.  I have no idea how long we've been doing this, but I'm betting it's well over 20 years. I basted 4 hexies in the two hours we were there, but that's as much as I want to do right now, although I have done a little bit of beading.  Beth, the only way to finish anything out of hexies, is to either leave the edges in a zig-zag, or attach filling hexies one at a 
time.

We did get out on Monday over to the bead shop near Polo Park, and to the fancy tea store on Academy Road.  On our way, David asked if we could go to Cantor's to see if we could get any corned beef that had actually been pickled, rather than smoked.  Of course, we did get some deli meat that fit the bill, but I also bought a piece of pickled brisket.  The same thing, but in a much larger piece suitable, for cooking and serving as a roast.  Daddy used to make this for us at one time, even pickling his own beef.  I think he did a batch when Harry;s family came to visit before you were married, Beth---how many years ago??  Anyway, this is a very special meal that I always used to love.  The piece was big enough to cut into three pieces, each of which will give us at least, two meals.  And it was much cheaper than the same size of roast beef would have been

Since I'm starting to sit up and take notice, after almost 3 weeks in a fog from the cold, I've realized how badly the housework has been neglected.  This morning I tidied the kitchen, polished the top of the stove, hand washed a few dishes, and did a small laundry.  I'm beat!  Even though I tried to pace myself,  I just don't-yet-have the endurance to do too much at any one time.  I'm determined to get back to my reliquary, but things like poker and Candy Crush seem to continue getting in the way.

Okay, time to think about supper.


No comments:

Post a Comment