Monday, January 30, 2017

Shopping and travel

Today we took five of my pieces, and 3 large pieces of my friend Valerie's out to the gallery in Selkirk and helped to hang them.  It's a very nice show, but a little strange, IMHO, for an art gallery show.  I have always made a distinct difference between craft and art.  This show is actually being advertised as "Jane Doe and friends: featuring the Winnipeg Embroiderers' Guild".  Most of Jane Doe's work is not original, although some is ( she is showing embroidered tablecloths and dresser scarves that have been done on pre-printed fabric that used to sell in Woolworths and Walmart), some of it is not embroidery, nor even fibre, and a great deal of it is not for sale (NFS). Displaying well-done, original art embroidery and fibre art in such a setting diminishes the whole genre.

Then home, and I shopped for beads in my basement studio.  I was very pleased at the variety I found that will be useful in my new piece, but still had to go and do a bit of shopping.  I decided to check out a local bead store that I hadn't visited in some time.  I guess nobody else has shopped there either, as it was gone.  This meant a trip out to St. James to the large bead store there, and success.  On the way home we back-tracked to the needle art store on St. Mary's Road, to pick up some thread to match the beads I had found. All together a very successful day, but a full day.


No comments:

Post a Comment