Friday, January 13, 2017

Swimming lessons

I certainly remember swimming lessons at the Sherbrook Pool.  I also remember riding-by myself-as a young child-on the bus each way, with two transfers.  You won't see any  kids doing that now! One of those transfers was at Pembina and Stafford, and I traveled that way often enough, that when we had the very big blizzard in, I think, 1965, I was stuck downtown, near the Bay, when all of the trolley buses went off line.  I remembered that the Stafford bus could connect with the Morley bus, and that they were both motor buses.  I quickly transferred to a Stafford, and actually got safely home, at a time when many people didn't.

My swimming teacher was Mrs. Birt, and she had been a girlhood friend of Mom's.  Wasn't she one of the Spinsters group?  My kids never went to the Sherbrook Pool, as far as I know, although they may have a few times.  But living in Transcona, we had a local pool, just a few blocks away.

I worked on some needle felting yesterday, but ran out of yarn.  We were able to pick up something I think will work, at Micheal's today, thank Goodness.  I was worried that I would have to travel around the city to those high priced little specialty stores, and the piece isn't important enough to spend that sort of money.  I've sort of been planning 3-4 felted pieces, each about 12" by 12".  I spent far too much on specialty yarn at the FAN retreat I went to last fall, with this in mind.  It's been quite awhile since I used the embellisher, and obviously need practise.  Unfortunately, when I was playing yesterday, I discovered that I have a "whack" of yarn stored downstairs--enough that I'm a bit embarrassed.  some of it is definitely "specialty" yarn, and I'm looking forward to playing with it. 

I've also given my hands a rest for 8 days now, and am thinking about trying some hand sewing--maybe some beading.  We'll see.

So we did get out today, once David had blown the driveway clear.  We made it to the library and grocery store, as well as Micheal's, and I got my coffee at Starbuck's.  As I mentioned, our trips out for coffee are costing us a bit extra, with stops at the grocery store. (David buys his lottery tickets there, as well, so we're both involved in this) I readily admit that the coffee is an extravagance, but I'm going to track the other for awhile, and figure out if there really is a problem.  I have the records for December, but that is really an a-typical month, so January and February will have to be watched. Not fun, but maybe necessary right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment