Wednesday, June 24, 2009

deadlines

It took me awhile, but I've come to realize that most of the deadlines I work against are self-imposed. I know most yours aren't, Beth, and I wonder what we can do to help you. This is a stage in your life that you should be finding the occasional period of "me" time. Did you know that many agencies, that rely on volunteers, make a special effort to target newly retired professionals? People with undedicated time, but with a history of over-achieving, along with a social conscience. Families probably do the same thing. But, you must realize that this is being said by a woman who tried to read the paper this morning while wearing her husband's glasses-so what do I know? CPP will be in the bank on Friday--the third last banking day of the month.

Yesterday I played with my Photoshop Elements (PSE). I finally got four pictures to print on the same page. This took size and colour adjustments, a lot of cropping etc. I wasn't totally pleased with the results but blown away by actually accomplishing the task all by myself. I know I need to do it again, just to get it more formally into my memory. Then, for some reason, my laptop stopped accessing the internet either in the kitchen or the studio. "Internet connectivity problem"--whatever the heck that means. Last time I had this problem, we needed to replace our very old modem--and to turn on the function on the laptop that allows me to do this. So I checked that function button right away. Now this might not be a problem except that this is the only way I can play poker. Two of us in the "office" at the same time, just doesn't work. I attend to all of my blogging and e-mail on the desk top, just because it offers a better functional working position for my hands, than the laptop.

Yesterday Samantha was to the doctor and diagnosed with Croup. It seems that there is always one or more of that family sick, at any one time. We went out to look after Jessica while Samantha came into the city to see the doctor. It was Jessica's last day of nursery school. Her report card says she has done well, but still, sometimes, prefers to play on her own. I know she has friends in the neighbourhood, so this isn't a worry, but she also sometimes just prefers to have a little "alone time". When I see all of the toys etc in her bedroom, I think I can understand why.

This morning is a meeting with a "mentor" for the Crafts Museum. This is woman with a long history of working in donation/grant funded arts groups, and the curator has already found the mentoring experience useful. The Board felt that it might be useful to have one or two Board members sit in on the meetings, as well. Unfortunately, our President is being treated for a rare and difficult cancer, and isn't able to attend, so the task has fallen to me. This summer is a bad time for the Board to be, more or less, leaderless. The poor woman is spending most of the summer visiting family around the country. She is in her later fifties and only recently retired.

Well, this has been along one. Have a great day, and a cool drink at the end of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment