Sunday, May 17, 2020

Neighbours

Oh Cathy, not more dog problems?!  At first I thought you might have a more serious problem, but it sounds like things might be working out okay?  An expensive okay, none-the-less, but please let us know how the dog makes out.

We had interaction with our neighbours yesterday, too.  They are avid gardeners, and their vegetable garden backs onto our property.  This is the fellow who put the rabbit traps in our back yard ( they've caught 7 rabbits!)  It seems that they are getting Prairie Lilies (not the nice ones) growing in their garden, as off-shoots of the ones around our large cedar tree.  David has tried a few times to dig them out, but they're almost like a noxious weed, the way they propagate.  That was one of the jobs that Andrea left behind when she was working in the yard last fall.  There were also some remnants of the Virginia Creeper left on that fence.  But--I realized yesterday, that its their fence!  I had thought it was ours.  Anyway, the fellow spent most of yesterday in our yard, digging up those lilies, and his wife spent a fair bit of time working over the fence with long handled clippers, cutting away the creeper.

At the same time, David tried to empty one of the composters, so he could give it to them,by way of barter for their labour.  We got the best of that deal!   Well, he opened the bottom of the composter and found a huge ant nest, probably two feet by 2 feet by about a foot, or more, deep.  Been there for years, by my guess.  David keeps telling me that he stirs the things up, as one is supposed to do with composters, but I have my doubts.  Anyway, we now have one less.  I asked David what happened to the ants, and he told me that they marched in single file into the yard on the South side of us--the Grow-Op.  

Earlier in the day, David went to the garden center to get more soil,  and some tomato cages, so that the tomatoes could be planted. I scrubbed the bathtub.  That is a dangerous, filthy job, and having done it,  I figured that I got a pass for the rest of the day.  But I'm also started to realize that the tub itself will have to be replaced before we could ever think of selling the house--tomorrow wouldn't be too soon for me, but I'm also realistic regarding cost. I'm hoping that we might be able to get one of those companies that just fit a new tub over the old.  My worry is that I think they install a tub surround, and I'm not willing to give up the bathroom window.  I also figured out that I can tolerate the fumes from Drano crystals, if I wear my respirator while using them. One problem solved.

Today will be much more relaxed around here.  I want to do some studio work.  My on-line workshop is now wanting me to paint some papers to use in making collages, so I've selected painting clothes for today.   My membership in the website expires shortly, and can't be renewed ( they are doing away with memberships, in favour of having viewers simply buy any videos they want, individually). I spent some time yesterday going over all of the videos they have, to see if there were any that I might want to purchase.  I bought one, but was also surprised to find out how many I actually do own, at this point.  I then changed my mind and decided to wait until I've finished the course, as there are many videos within the course, that are, or will be, mine, and it would be silly to by them as individual videos, as well.

Sounds like I have quite a day ahead of me.  Best get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment