Saturday, May 30, 2020

Still in the garden












David is still working too hard in the garden.  Still, now the grass has all been covered with lawn dressing, grass seed has been spread and everything watered.  Both the tomatoes and the Lady Slippers were covered last night.  The Lady Slippers are the best that we've had for the past couple of years, but one clump is coming on a little slower than the other.  I managed to take a pictures today, that I'm hoping may provide an image to use in my sketchbook.




David has now transplanted two more Peony plants to the South Garden in the back, and filled in the area between the compost bin and the house, with several Hostas.  This area is almost always in shade, but I'm still hoping they do well.  We have too many Hostas, but when I remember how expensive it was to buy the first of them, I become reluctant to do away with any of them.  I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.  We also discovered some Lily-of-the-Valley clustered around the base of the Mock Orange. A couple of years ago I had thought that we'd lost them all in the drought, but there they were.  Not seeing any flowers yet, but it's still early.  These all came from the house on Maplewood, and we've moved them from house to house over the years.

The garden is looking very good, certainly better than it has in years.  all the credit goes to David, with a bit of help from the neighbour across the back.  Not only has he lent David some equipment, ( and vice-versa) but also a bit of labour.  He decided that the damage in our tall Cedar, from the terrible storm last fall, just had to be remedied.  So his two adult sons were over today, and stabilized the bent and slightly broken branches.  They had both been over to help Dad out a bit in his garden.

We were up early today, and I was off to the bank to deposit the three cheques we had from the Province.  Nothing to show for it though, as it all went to the credit card.  We also know that we're going to have to put some aside to pay the water bill at the end of June, as David has been watering like a fiend. Very necessary, but the result will be a much higher bill.  The bank had a line-up at least a hundred feet long, and moving slowly, when I got there, just a few minutes after opening.  So I left and drove over to Starbucks, which is also open now, but with many, many precautions in place.  I had to stand and wait there, while they made my pour-over  (worth it!)  Then back to the bank where there were only 5 people in line outside the building, and as many inside.  But I lined up anyway, and ultimately got in and completed my business.

Unfortunately, I may have been standing a little bit too long, for my knees and back.  Early this afternoon, I realized that I needed to lay down.  Don't stop at Go, and don't collect $200, but lay down right now!  Immediately fell asleep, and David woke me up an hour and a half later.  This lead to an early supper,and the decision to make this a lazy evening, and probably early to bed.  Hopefully, I'l sleep well tonight, but, after having a nap, not likely.  Good thing I have a couple of books left to read.


























garden

No comments:

Post a Comment