Tuesday, May 19, 2020

What can I say! A day like no other

I managed to get an appointment at the hair salon near Walmart.  I say near Walmart, as the store I normally go to is in the Walmart store, and I thought that was the one I had phoned.  Not so.  David dropped me off, and I walked in 5 minutes before my appointment only to be told that they had no appointment for me, and they are only operating on an appointment basis, no walk-ins.  When I mentioned the name of the stylist with whom I had the appointment, they quickly told me that I was in the wrong salon, and the one I wanted was across the big Walmart parking lot. I asked them to let David know if he showed up looking for me.  Then I took off and made it at exactly my appointment time.  It was probably the longest distance I've walked in ages.  My hair was cut in about 15 minutes and I left.  This left me standing in the parking lot, with some of the strongest winds I've experienced in years.  Add glaring sun, and the overwhelming stench of the asphalt they were laying in the drive thru of the fast food store next door, my 45 minute wait seemed endless.  I was worried sick, and had no way of contacting David.  After half an hour, I went into the fast food place to find out the time, and use the washroom, then outside and waited another 15 minutes, by which time I started to figure that there was a serious problem.  I knew that I couldn't continue standing there waiting, so started off  back to the Walmart, but sticking to the sidewalk and not walking through the parking lot, just in case David was driving around looking for me. Believe me when I say that this trip back was much slower than the one earlier. When I got to Walmart, I gave up and tried to phone home.  The pay phone took my credit card, as I had no change, but didn't put the call through--twice.  I went into Walmart to see if there might be a different payphone inside, and there was.  Not getting an answer at home, I noticed an direct line to a taxi, and called it.  He arrived fairly quickly and we headed off toward home. Within two blocks, I noticed the car ahead looked very much like David, and it was.  We followed him home and I paid off the cab, while watching him get out of the car and into the house.  

I can't tell you how relieved we both were to finally get together.  after a quick trip to the washroom, and a quick conversation about what had happened, (he never went into the first salon and never got my message), off we went back to finish the shopping we had planned.  This involved a lot more walking, and I don't think my knees will ever the the same.

This evening will involve as little standing and walking as possible.

p.s. did I mention that it's the worst haircut I've had in over 20 years.  I won't be going back there.

No comments:

Post a Comment